The MD MEP Manufacturing Internship Program is designed to support Maryland manufacturers with the cost of hiring, on-boarding and training summer interns. Manufacturing internships are a critical step in recruiting the next generation of talent to the manufacturing industry and MD MEP is committed to supporting the growing talent of next-generation manufacturers.
The MD MEP internship program has three key parts:
1. Intern Application: For this program, the participating companies will select their summer intern(s) and then apply to MEP’s internship program.
Applications for the 2023 Summer Internship Program will be available in spring 2023.
2. MD MEP-led intern training & manufacturing tours: MD MEP believes that internships are critical to attracting the next generation of talent and additional training, mentorship, and exposure to Maryland’s manufacturing industry has proven to excite, captivate and better prepare our interns for manufacturing jobs upon graduation. To participate in MEP’s internship program, all interns are expected to participate in the following schedule:
MD MEP Intern Training & Tour Schedule
MD MEP Internship Kick-off: Manufacturing 101, Job Readiness Training & Networking
Manufacturing Facility Tour
9:30AM - 11:00AM
Manufacturing Facility Tour
9:00AM - 10:30AM
Final Report Out: Final Project Presentations & Close Out
(Interns & Intern Supervisors)
3. Wage Reimbursement Support: To make internships possible and beneficial for both small and medium-sized manufacturers, all participating manufacturers are eligible for reimbursement for wages paid to the interns during the summer. If accepted, each manufacturing company is eligible for $1,000 reimbursement per intern (up to 3 interns, $3,000 maximum reimbursement per company).
Internship Program Requirements:
- To be eligible to participate, participating companies must be a Maryland manufacturer (Manufacturing NAICS code required)
- Intern candidates must be eligible to work in the United States and may be asked to meet specific hiring requirements of participating organizations
- Selected Interns must work a minimum of 30 hours a week and a minimum of 4 weeks total.
- The reimbursement will be issued at the completion of the internship.
- Interns are expected to participant in the MEP training & tour schedule as part of the program
- An Internship Exit Form and all intern Paystubs must be submitted to MD MEP as the close of the program
If you have questions regarding the Summer Internship Program, please contact:
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
No, the selected interns can be studying at any community college or university. The only location requirement is that the participating manufacturer must be located in Maryland.
No, there is no major requirement for this program. The selected intern should have the major and/or skill set to support the company with their summer projects.
Yes, as long as the intern meets the remaining requirements.
In order to participate in the program, all interns must have a schedule of at least 30 hours a week and must work for a minimum of 4 weeks.